Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
Salads pack a major punch when it comes to nutrition, however they can get pretty boring, really quick. That’s why I love these turkey taco salad bowls. They spice up a boring old salad, but are still super healthy. They aren’t load with high calorie dressings like you will find at most restaurants, but I promise they are still full of flavor! Plus, they require minimal cooking, which makes these a super fast item to meal prep for the week! So let’s get to it…
Start out by browning the turkey in a pan on the stove. Once fully cooked, add the taco seasoning and water, according to package directions. While you let this simmer, start preparing the salad toppings.
Drain and rinse your black beans before serving. Then simply create an assembly line of your toppings. I like to put each in a bowl for easy access. So I line up a bowl of black beans, corn, and cheese. Then have the salsa nearby to use as “dressing”.
If you’re making these salads ahead of time, make sure to keep the toppings separate until you are ready to eat the salad, or else you’ll end up with soggy lettuce. I personally love these salad Tupperware containers HERE, but any container will work. I will then put my taco meat and toppings in a Ziploc bag, and keep my salsa in a small dressing container that snaps inside the Tupperware lid (check out the awesome containers here). Then each morning before work, I grab my Tupperware of lettuce, bag of toppings and go!
What I love most about these salads is how versatile they are! Love sour cream? Add it to the salad! Hate black beans? Remove them!
- Serves: 8 salads
- Serving size: 1 salad
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 13.1
- Saturated fat: 5.1
- Carbohydrates: 26.7
- Sugar: 6.9
- Sodium: 950
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 34.6
- Cholesterol: 104
- 32oz 93% lean ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups salsa
- 4 bags of shredded lettuce
- 1 can (15oz) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (15oz) corn (no salt added)
- 1.75 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- Brown the ground turkey in a pan over medium heat. Once fully cooked, add the taco seasoning and water and cook according to package directions
- Separate the lettuce into 8 portions, and top with the taco meat, cheese, beans, and corn. Then use salsa for dressing
- Meal Prep Tips - divide the lettuce into 8 Tupperware containers. In a separate Ziploc bag, add the taco meat, beans, corn, and cheese. Then in a small dressing container, add the salsa. This will last in the fridge up to 5 days.