For some reason, making stuffed green peppers has always been something that I wanted to do. I’ve always thought about making them, but never actually put it into action. And now that I have made them, I have no idea why I waited so long. They are super easy to make!
I started by looking up a few recipes online and then just took bits and pieces from each and threw in some of my own ideas. And the result was delicious! If you’re looking for something with less carbs, try my updated low carb stuffed pepper recipe HERE!
Healthy Stuffed Green Peppers
– 8oz of lean ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
– 4 green bell peppers
– 8oz reduced sodium black beans (rinsed)
– 1/2 cup Prego Italian Sauce
– 8oz corn
– 1 tbsp minced garlic
– 1 cup of reduced fat mozzarella cheese
– 1/2 cup brown rice (measured dry)
1) preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2) slice each pepper in half and remove the core and seeds. Place the peppers face down in a pan and bake for 8 minutes. Remove and then flip the peppers over. Change the oven temperature to 400 degrees
3) cook the rice according to package directions
4) in a pan on the stove, cook the ground turkey until no longer pink. Drain the excess liquid
5) in the same pan with the cooked turkey, add the rinsed beans, tomato sauce, corn, garlic, and brown rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir together until well mixed.
6) scoop the stuffing mixture into each pepper half. Top with mozzarella cheese.
7) bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, until cheese is all melted.
8) serve immediately, store in the fridge, or freeze
These peppers were so good! Cheesy and full of protein!
MACROS (for 2 pepper halves): 329 calories, 10.2g fat, 38.2g carbs, 26.1g protein
Next time I will probably try them with ground beef too! There are so many variations of stuffed green peppers, so get creative! Feel free to substitute ingredients or even add more of your favorite veggies!