Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
Chicken parmesan is probably one of my favorite comfort foods. It doesn’t get much better than mountains of pasta topped with breaded chicken and gooey cheese. However the typical chicken parm dish can be upwards of 1000 calories! So I decided to recreate one of my favorite foods into a healthier version, that didn’t blow your diet. This slow cooker chicken parm is simple to make, full of protein, and low carb. Serve it with your favorite pasta, turn it into a sandwich, or simply serve it with veggies to keep the carbs low. The possibilities are endless!
Start out by grabbing all of your ingredients and your slow cooker. I used a 7 Quart crockpot, and there was plenty of room! In your slow cooker, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil. Stir well until fully combined.
Then set the chicken breast on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt/pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Once the chicken is fully cooked, shred it using two forks. The chicken should fall apart easily. If yours isn’t, then let it cook a bit longer.
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 236
- Fat: 5.6
- Saturated fat: 1.8
- Carbohydrates: 17.2
- Sugar: 11.4
- Sodium: 696
- Fiber: 5.3
- Protein: 31.2
- Cholesterol: 70
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 8oz crushed tomatoes
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a slow cooker, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil and stir.
- Set the chicken breast on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt/pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken
- Serve immediately and top with mozzarella cheese. This will also last in the fridge up to 5 days
Serve immediately and top with the low fat mozzarella cheese. I served mine with chickpea pasta and broccoli to make a complete meal! I’ve also served this over zoodles (zucchini noodles) and with potatoes. It’s delicious every time! This recipe is sure to be a favorite of even the pickiest eaters.