Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
Whether you follow a paleo diet or not, this ground turkey and sweet potato skillet is still a delicious meal! Plus you can have a complete meal on the table in under 30 minute (yes, that include prep time too!). Let’s get right into it…
Start out by washing and peeling your sweet potato. Then chop it into small chunks. The size of these chunks are pretty important, if they are too large, then they will take longer to cook and you run the risk of drying out the meal. I cut mine into about 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside and then wash, core, and chop your pepper, and then peel and chop your onion. Or you can be lazy like me and buy pre-diced onion at the store…
Now let’s get cooking! Pour your olive oil into a large pan on the stove and heat over medium-high heat. Add your ground turkey and minced garlic, and cook until the turkey is brown (8-10 minutes).
Add the chopped pepper and onion and cook for another 3 minutes. Add in your spices and mix well.
Then add in the chopped sweet potato and water. Cover the pan and let it cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 10 minutes. (This could be longer if your sweet potato chunks are larger). Keep an eye on the mixture and add more water if it starts to look dry.
Serve immediately or store in the fridge up to 5 days. If you’re not following a strict paleo diet, try topping it with mozzarella cheese for even more delicious flavor!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 12.9
- Saturated fat: 2.8
- Carbohydrates: 37.3
- Sugar: 8.7
- Sodium: 469
- Fiber: 6.2
- Protein: 25.2
- Cholesterol: 91
- 1lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 7oz diced onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Start by prepping your produce. Wash, peel, and chop your sweet potatoes into small pieces (~1/2 inch chunks). Then wash, core, and chop your bell pepper. Finish by peeling and chopping your onion. Set all of this aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the ground turkey and garlic. Cook until the ground turkey is brown, about 10 minutes, making sure to break the turkey into small pieces.
- Add in the chopped onion and bell pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the seasonings, and mix well. Then add in the sweet potato and water. Stir everything together, and then cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft. Keep an eye on it and add more water if the mixture starts to look dry.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge up to 5 days