Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
I have very fond memories of growing up visiting my grandmother and eating warm tomato soup with grilled cheese. I don’t think anything will ever beat this delicious combination. Over the years I’ve tried to recreate this childhood meal, only to be left disappointed. I’m convinced that her secret ingredient was love (or maybe lots of butter…). Anyway that brings me to the current recipe. I am a sucker for a cup of warm tomato soup, but I wanted to make it a bit healthier than the usual canned version. I also wanted to try to make it a complete meal, meaning it had to have some protein in it. So that’s when I came up with the idea for this paleo Creamy Chicken and Tomato Soup recipe!
This recipe does require blending. I highly recommend an immersion blender just because it’s so much easier. I actually have a really cheap one (less than 20 bucks!) that I got off of Amazon here. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you will just need to pour small batches of the soup into your regular blender to blend them. It’s not the end of the world, it just takes a bit longer.
For the canned tomatoes, feel free to use your favorite brand. I typically use Hunt’s, and they have so many different varieties. For these pictures, I used their diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery, and onion. But I bet fire roasted would be delicious as well! So definitely get creative! Okay now let’s get on to the recipe.
Grab a pot and place it on the stove. Add your tomatoes, olive oil, chicken broth, and spices to the pot (do not add the coconut milk yet) and stir. Then place your chicken in the pot and make sure they are mostly covered. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the chicken from the pot and cut it into small, bite-sized pieces. Using your immersion blender, blend the tomato soup until creamy and there are no more chunks. Pour the coconut milk into the soup and add the chopped chicken. Stir together and then cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat. Serve immediately or store in the fridge up to 5 days.
This is the perfect kid friendly (or picky husband!) recipe. It is creamy, delicious, and filling. I will definitely be making this again this winter!
- 2 (14.5oz) cans of Hunt's diced tomatoes
- 8oz coconut milk
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add the tomatoes, spices, olive oil, and chicken broth in a large pot on the stove. Add your chicken breasts to the mixture and make sure they are mostly covered. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove the chicken from the pot and cut into small pieces. Set aside
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it's smooth
- Add the coconut milk and chicken pieces to the soup, and cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge up to 5 days
Serving Size2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 308Total Fat 18.4gSaturated Fat 9.5gCholesterol 64.6mgSodium 1350mgCarbohydrates 8.3gFiber 2.2gSugar 5gProtein 29.7g