This recipe might take the prize as the easiest recipe on my blog! It takes less than 10 minutes to prep and then you just let the Crockpot work it’s magic while you get on with your day. I love chicken burrito bowls but I find that most of them at restaurants are extremely high in carbs. They’re loaded with rice and beans which make the carb count skyrocket. So I decided to create a lower carb version by eliminating the rice. These Lower Carb Chicken Burrito Bowls are so delicious that you won’t even miss the rice!
Start out by trimming your chicken breasts and then placing them in the bottom of the Crockpot. Then top with salsa, corn, beans, and taco seasoning. Let it cook for 4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
Remove the lid and shred the chicken. Mix everything up and then place the lid back on the crockpot and let it sit on the “warm” setting for 20-30 minutes. This step isn’t necessary, but it gives the shredded chicken time to absorb any liquid and become more moist and tender.
Separate the mixture into bowls or tupperware and then top with shredded cheese! You can even add your favorite toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, tortilla strips, etc.
- Serves: 5 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 6.4
- Saturated fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 36.2
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 1288
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 36
- Cholesterol: 69
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 container (16oz) of salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium black beans
- 1 packet (1.25oz) low sodium taco seasoning
- ½ cup low fat Mexican cheese (for topping)
- Trim your chicken and place it in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Then add all of the other ingredients (except the cheese) on top
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours
- Then remove the lid and shred the chicken and mix everything up. Put the lid back on and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes with the crockpot on the warm setting
- Separate and top each serving with cheese!