Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
Ever since I made my very first stuffed pepper recipe last year (you can check it out here), I’ve been making them pretty regularly. Over the months of making them I started tweaking them a bit each time. First, I decided to double the turkey to increase the protein. Then I decided to eliminate the rice to make it low carb. As the changes kept piling up, I decided it was time to post the new and improved recipe for you all! So here you have low carb, ground turkey stuffed peppers!
Start out by preheating your oven to 450 degrees F. Wash, core and cut each pepper in half. Do you best to remove as many seeds as you can. Place the peppers cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each pepper over. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
In a pan over medium heat, cook your ground turkey until it is no longer pink. When you’re turkey is almost done, add in the garlic. Once the turkey is fully cooked, add in the corn, black beans, and marinara sauce. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Now comes the difficult part. Scoop the filling into each pepper half. Top each half with cheese and then bake another 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Serve immediately or store in the fridge up to 5 days.
- If your peppers a bit too small to hold all of the filling, simply add more on top after they come out of the oven. Nobody ever said stuffed peppers had to be neat and pretty!
- If you want to make the recipe even lower carb, either eliminate the corn, or only use half the amount of beans
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 2 pepper halves
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 15.5
- Saturated fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 36.3
- Sugar: 8.1
- Sodium: 706
- Fiber: 11.2
- Protein: 37
- Cholesterol: 95
- 4 bell peppers
- 16oz of 93% lean ground turkey
- 15oz reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8oz corn
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Wash, core, and cut each pepper in half. Do your best to remove as many seeds as possible. Place each half on a baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each pepper over. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Cook the ground turkey over medium heat, making sure to break it into smaller pieces as it cooks. Once it is almost cooked, add in the garlic and continue to cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, corn, and marinara sauce to the pan and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop the filling into each pepper half. Top with cheese, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted