Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
**this recipe has since been updated HERE**
When you have an extra sweet potato laying around, and you already thawed some ground turkey for your meal prep this week, you find a way to put them together!
When it’s freezing outside I always crave warm meals. So soup and chili and two of my go-to meals during the winter! I was craving a warm, hearty chili, so I started doing some searching and found this amazing recipe for sweet potato turkey chili here.
I searched through my cabinets to see what I had on hand (I really did not want to go to the grocery store), and make a few changes to the recipe. And it turned out amazing!
So here’s my tweaked version of the recipe:
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- 20oz of 93% lean ground turkey
- One 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
- One 15.5oz can of reduced sodium black beans
- 3 cups of diced sweet potato (about one medium)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2tbsp minced onion seasoning
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups of water
- Pour the tomatoes (with liquid) and beans (slightly drained) into a crockpot.
- Add in the sweet potato and then raw ground turkey. Make sure the ground turkey is broken up into pieces or else it will cook in one large chunk.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients on top and then pour in the water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Stir your chili thoroughly, making sure to break up any large chunks of turkey. Then let it cook on low for about 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately or portion out into 5 containers.
MACROS (for 1/5 of batch): 396 calories, 8.8g of fat, 46.9g of carbs, and 29.7g of protein
If you try any of my recipes please let me know! I love hearing feedback!