Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
When I come across a delicious recipe that is easy to make, I tend to make it over and over again. Over time, I find myself making small tweaks to the recipe each time. And sometimes, these small tweaks end up adding up over time. This is what happened with my crockpot sweet potato turkey chili recipe I posted last year. Due to the changes, I decided to write a post containing the updated recipe.
It feels weird to think that I have been blogging long enough to be updating my previous recipes. But I like it! This recipe is one of my favorites because the crockpot does most of the work for you. Plus it’s so heart and filling, yet less than 400 calories per serving. So let’s get on to the recipe…
Grab your Crockpot and set aside for now. I personally use a 6 quart crockpot that I got off of Amazon for less than $30! I love it! You can find it HERE.
Start by peeling and chopping your sweet potato. I like to chop mine into 1/2 inch chunks, this way they are bite sized. Then peel and dice your onion. Set these aside for later.
In a medium pan on the stove, add the ground turkey and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the turkey is fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
Grab your crockpot, and add the cooked turkey, sweet potato, tomatoes, and black beans. Then add the onion, spices, and water. Stir everything until it is well combined. Cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours. Serve immediately or store in the fridge up to 5 days. Feel free to get creative and top with cheese, sour cream, or even tortilla strips!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 368
- Fat: 8.4
- Saturated fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Sugar: 8.8
- Sodium: 911
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 30.2
- Cholesterol: 91
- 16oz of 93% lean ground turkey
- one 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
- one 15.5oz can of reduced sodium black beans (rinsed)
- one medium sweet potato, diced (about 300g)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups of water
- Peel and chop your sweet potato into ½ inch cubes. Then peel and dice the onion into small pieces. Set aside
- In a pan on the stove, add the ground turkey and garlic. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink, making sure to break it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Add the cooked turkey, sweet potato, tomatoes, and beans into the crockpot.
- Add in the chopped onion, spices, and water. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
- Serve immediately or portion out into 4 containers.