Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All thoughts & opinions remain my own.
A common myth of meal prepping is that it is expensive. But this isn’t true! With a little bit of planning, you can easily find recipes that won’t break the bank. Take this one for example! This Chicken Enchilada Skillet recipe will cost you $2.50 per meal or less. To be honest you probably have some of the ingredients in your kitchen already, which would bring down the cost a lot. For example, this meal prep cost me $1.50 per meal, and I made 5 meals! Now onto the recipe…
Start out by adding the chicken broth and chili powder to a large skillet with sides. Bring to a simmer and then add in your rice and stir. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed, but not fully.
Add in the corn, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chicken, and black beans and stir. Replace the lid and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Top it with the shredded cheese and serve! This recipe can also be prepped ahead of time and stored in the fridge up to 5 days.
- 14.5oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 15oz can low sodium corn
- 4oz diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 10oz enchilada sauce
- 20oz canned chicken*
- 14.5oz can low sodium black beans
- 1 cup white rice (measured dry)
- 56 grams reduced fat shredded mexican cheese
- Add the chicken broth and chili powder to a large skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the rice and stir. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is mostly absorbed, but not fully
- Add in the remaining ingredients except the cheese. Stir, replace the lid, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes
- Top with the shredded cheese and serve!
*You can sub the canned chicken for cooked chicken breast. Either dice it up into small pieces or shred it
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 467 Total Fat 6.3g Saturated Fat 1.9g Cholesterol 58mg Sodium 1000mg Carbohydrates 59.4g Fiber 7.4g Sugar 6.8g Protein 38.6g